Advanced Powerboat Course
Advanced Course For Those Seeking To Improve Their Competency
Irish Sailing Advanced Powerboat Course
The Advanced Powerboat Course will allow power boaters to gain skills in boat handling, seamanship, pilotage and navigation, at both day and night in coastal waters.
Who should do this course?
Participants must hold a National Powerboat Certificate (Level 2) or an equivalent certificate and provide 20 logged hours driving experience following their qualification. It is strongly recommended that participants hold a VHF radio operators’ certificate and a first aid certificate.
Our Advanced Power Boat courses are run over 2 days – normally a Saturday and Sunday. The course will commence at 9.00am on Saturday and finish at approx 9.00pm. This is to allow for the night passage to be undertaken after sun set. Sunday will run from 10am to approx 5pm.
To complete the night navigation part of the syllabus, participants may be required to attend one late evening session depending on the time of year. Further details on this will be provided to you in advance of the course.
- Boat Preparation and safety briefing of crew
- Boat Handling – holding station, coming alongside at speed, lee shore landings
- Rough weather skills
- Meteorology; forecast sourcing and interpretation, implications for power boating activities
- Navigation; at day and night using GPS, depth sounder, steering and hand bearing compass
- Passage Planning
- International Collision Regulations, day shaped and night lights
- Safety, search patterns, sea anchor usage
- Basic maintenance, trailing and storage
The list above is just a brief summary of the many areas covered on the course.
We aim to provide you with an in-depth guide in the advanced operation of a powerboat.
€400 per person
Please contact us if the dates listed on our schedule do not suit. Our team will endeavour to accommodate all bookings as best we can.
Upcoming Course Dates
What People Say
The Safety Boat course provided me with a lot of detail and skills necessary to look after large groups of dinghies and kayaks in the water. This course is a must for any intending rescue boat driver.