Safety Boat Course
Advanced Course For Those Seeking To Improve Their Competency
Irish Sailing Safety Boat Course
This course is designed for those seeking to improve their competency in the sport and focuses upon areas such as escorting racing fleets of dinghies, windsurfers and canoes; providing safety and rescue cover for training fleets and assisting in race management duties.
Who should do this course?
Participants must hold a National Powerboat Certificate (Level 2) or an equivalent certificate and provide 20 logged hours driving experience following their qualification. It is strongly recommended that participants hold a VHF radio operators’ certificate and a first aid certificate.
Safety boat courses are run over a Saturday and Sunday from 9.30am to 5.30pm each day, except where otherwise stated.
- Preparation of a powerboat for use as a safety/rescue boat.
- Holding off and coming along side vessel under way.
- Towing of disabled craft astern and along side.
- Safety, Planning and incident management.
- Lee-shore recovery.
- Role of, and working with Search and Rescue (SAR)
- Search Patterns
- Recovering a person fallen overboard from other vessels.
- Rescue of dinghies, catamarans, kayaks, canoes, wind surfers, kite surfers.
- Other topics include Race Management, Raft Racing, Powerboat Race management and safety, Swim safety and Tri-atalon management.
The list above is just a brief summary of the many areas covered on the course. We aim to provide you with the ultimate ‘quick start guide’ in the sport of Powerboating.
€350 per person – Group Discounts Available
If booking a group of 2 or 3, please contact us if the dates listed on our schedule do not suit. Our team will endeavour to accommodate all group bookings as best we can.
Upcoming Course Dates
What People Say
The Safety Boat course provided me with a lot of detail and skills necessary to look after large groups of dinghies and kayaks in the water. This course is a must for any intending rescue boat driver.